Monday, December 29, 2008

How Can Retailers Get Customer Loyalty

Writen by Harriet Hodgson

Customer loyalty. Say these words and retailers' eyes light up. Every retailer wants customer loyalty and wants to keep it. Some retailers would do almost anything to get customer loyalty, and I understand that. I'm a grandmother and, thanks to birthdays, an experienced shopper, and I think customer loyalty is waning. The question is, why?

Misreading the customer is one reason. A few months ago I went to a furniture store to look around. No other customers were in the store and when the sales associate saw me he started following me. Judging by his body language and the questions he asked, he thought I was confused. If I took a step, he took a step. When I walked to the opposite side of the store he shadowed me.

Talk about annoying. Finally, in exasperation I turned around and said, "I know where I am. I know what I want. What I don't want is to be followed." The man was so shocked he retreated to his office. Unfortunately, I've had this experience in many stores. Do sales associates think all gray haired grandmothers are demented?

The people in charge of employee training should rethink their training, it seems to me. For every time I walk into a store somebody asks, "Do you have any questions?" This is also annoying. Because I'm the age I am I know how to stand up for myself. Believe me, if I had any questions I would ask them.

Can't a person window shop any more? I know sales associates are trained to approach me in case I'm a shop-lifter. Some grandmothers may be shop-lifters, but I'm not one of them. Because I care about my community and want local businesses to succeed, I have some suggestions for retailers.

* TELL ME ABOUT YOUR NEW MERCHANDISE. I would love to hear about the new stretch jeans, colorful t-shirts, and blouses that double as jackets. Hearing about new merchandise gets my attention and may lead to a sale. Even if I don't buy anyting I'lltell my friends about your fabulous merchandise.

* BE ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT YOUR PRODUCTS. These days, many sales associates don't know squat about what they're selling. When you ask them a question they look befuddled. Some act like they don't even care. If you don't care about your merchandise, why should I?

* DRESS FOR THE JOB. Yeah, yeah, I know low-rise jeans are the fad, but it's not a fad I embrace. I've seen too much flesh - overhanging tummies, partial buns, and bare buns. Dealing with a half-dressed sales associate makes me want to walk out the door. I didn't come in the door half naked, so why did you?

* IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A SALE BE COURTEOUS. Lack of courtesy is an instant turn-off. I'm only asking for common courtesy, not false emotion, a flowery speech, or endless sales pitch. Thank me if I bought something and thank me if I didn't. Courtesy also includes a no-hassle return policy.

* RESPECT MY TIME. If you're busy with a customer, say so. Tell me how long it will be before you get around to me. Suggest something I could do in the meantime, such as looking at your catalog or the sale merchandise at the back of the store.

Though customer loyalty is worth its weight in gold, you can't put a price on it. Television and newspaper ads talk about senior citizens' spendable income. I may not have much spendable income, but I'm only shopping at stores that treat me right. If retailers want my loyalty they'll have to earn it.

Copyright 2006 by Harriet Hodgson

http://www.harriethodgson.com

Harriet Hodgson has been a nonfiction writer for 27 years and is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists. Her 24th book, "Smiling Through Your Tears: Anticipating Grief," written with Lois Krahn, MD, is published by Amazon and available from http://www.amazon.com. A five-star review of the book is also posted on Amazon. You'll find another review on the American Hospice Foundation website under the "School Corner" heading.

No comments: