Friday, August 8, 2008

Hertz Rentacar In San Francisco

Writen by Ron Kaufman

I wanted to make a three-day car reservation for a visit to San Francisco.

I called Hertz Rent-a-Car, where I am a member of the 'Hertz Number One Club' for frequent travelers. I planned to use an award coupon for one free-day rental from American Airlines and additional award coupons for two more free days from United Airlines.

The telephone reservations officer provided impeccable service. She greeted me pleasantly, acknowledged me as a member of the Hertz Number One Club, confirmed my dates, flights, pick-up location and choice of automobile.

Then she asked me what time I would be returning the car after the first day of rental. 'I want the car for all three days,' I replied.

'You can't keep the same car for all three days,' she asserted. 'After the first day you have to bring the car back and pick up a different car for the next two days. The first day is paid for with your American Airlines coupon, but the next two days are paid for with your United coupons.'

'So what's the difference?', I responded. 'I am the same person, with the same Hertz Number One Club member. I am the rightful owner of both the award coupons, and I want a Hertz automobile for three consecutive days. Surely you will let me keep the same car, so I don't have to come back to the airport in the middle of my Bay Area vacation.'

'That's not the way our system works here, Mr. Kaufman,' she replied.

'But it should work that way, don't you agree?', I asked, appealing to her sense of elementary logic, simple concern and practical customer care.

'I don't make the rules here, Mr. Kaufman. I just follow them. What time will you be returning the car after the first day?'

Somewhere within the heart of Hertz, a group of senior rule-makers live comfortably with their precise policy of 'one airline, one coupon, one car, no exceptions'.

But somewhere close to this customer's heart lies frustration, inconvenience and incredible disbelief.

I'm not the type of customer who gives up in these situations. When my first 'one-day' reservation began, I had a long chat with the most senior Hertz rental manager I could find. He let me keep the same car for all three days.

Someone at Hertz Rent-A-Car was listening.


Key Learning Point
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elementary logic and practical customer care are the best rules to use in many situations. At Nordstroms clothing store, famous for excellent service, they simply tell the staff: `The rule is to use your common sense. There are no other rules.'


Action Steps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your rules and regulations don't make sense to your customers, they need to be rewritten. If you can see logic where your customers cannot, it's not your customers' sight that needs refocusing.

Ron Kaufman is an internationally acclaimed educator and motivator for partnerships and quality customer service. He is author of the bestselling "UP Your Service!" and founder of "UP Your Service College". Visit http://www.UpYourService.com for more such Customer Service articles, subscribe to his Newsletter, or to buy his bestselling Books, Videos, Audio CDs on Customer Service from his secure Online Store. You can also watch Ron live or listen to him at http://www.RonKaufman.com.

No comments: