Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dont Buy In A Bad Mood

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

Today, I made a special trip to an art supply store, one at which I have a "membership," enabling me to get 10% off its prices, everyday.

After wading through a sea of traffic, I found a parking space, entered the store, and quickly picked up two canvasses.

I asked the clerk, "Are these on sale?"

"Yes," she replied." You can get up to 70% off, depending on how many you buy."

Cool, "How much do you save with two?"

"Fifty-percent."

Not bad, I thought, and I systematically went down the store's aisles in search of yet more bargains.

My arms full of paints, sketching pads, and other goodies, I trekked back to the counter, and the clerk rang up the charges.

The total came to over $77.

Wow, that's a lot of money, I thought.

"Can you itemize these for me, please?" I asked.

She was happy to do it, but I couldn't believe what I heard. Each canvas cost about thirty bucks. How could this be?

"Well, you got 50% off our REGULAR price," she explained.

"Am I getting an additional 10% off because of my membership?"

"Uh, no, that's only on non-sale items."

Wow, what a con! I used to do better at this store before they had their "Up to 70% off" sales!

I probed further. Each item told a similar story. They start with an astronomical non-sales price, slash that, and you still end up paying what you'd pay, if not more, at similar supply stores.

Then, instead of getting mad, a Zen type of calm came over me.

I looked at the perky cashier, and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to pass."

And I left the store, feeling unusually tranquil, my hands empty, and being in a position of having to shop for these items elsewhere.

I realized that had I completed the purchase, I would have been disappointed.

That negative emotion would have seeped into the paints, and wept onto the canvas, and any art that resulted, would have been tainted.

The lesson I learned is simple: If a store, a restaurant, a salesperson, or anyone puts you into a bad mood, stop right there. If you can, stop the buying process, immediately.

It's the only way to maintain your integrity, your inner balance, and no convoluted discount will ever give that to you, or be worth sacrificing that for.

Dr. Gary S. Goodman, President of www.Customersatisfaction.com, is a popular keynote speaker, management consultant, and seminar leader and the best-selling author of 12 books, including Reach Out & Sell Someone® and Monitoring, Measuring & Managing Customer Service. He is a frequent guest on radio and television, worldwide. A Ph.D. from USC's Annenberg School, Gary offers programs through UCLA Extension and numerous universities, trade associations, and other organizations in the United States and abroad. He is headquartered in Glendale, California, and he can be reached at (818) 243-7338 or at: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

No comments: