Sunday, June 29, 2008

If Life Gives You Lemons Pay For Them When You Can

Writen by Don Doman

Okay, I wasn't really buying lemons. I had just finished a round of golf and had stopped off at a produce stand for some fresh fruit and veggies to take home.

I made my selections and was in line checking out. When the total was rung up, I realized that I was several dollars short. Usually, I pretty much know what I have for funds in my pocket, but since I was only going to the golf course, I had only made sure I had enough to cover my fees. Buying produce had not been on my mind that morning; playing tournament golf was. Now, it looked like both images would be crushed.

When I saw that I didn't have enough money, I decided to pay by check . . . ah, but I had only gone out to golf and hadn't brought my checkbook either. The next thing was to put some items back. The manager spoke up, "Pay later." I looked up and said, "What?" He said, again, "Just stop by your next time out here, and pay later." I looked at him for a second and he said, "You're good for it, aren't you?" I said, "Yes, of course." He said, "Well, there you are." The conversation and the transaction were over. I didn't sign an I.O.U. I didn't make any other promises. I didn't have to swear that I would return. I just took my produce without paying and went home.

Did I return and pay? Yes, of course. Did I tell others about this little scenario? Yes, of course. Did the manager provide great customer service beyond the norm? Yes, well beyond what most people would expect.

What actually was the cost to the produce stand? Originally, it cost the stand just shy of ten dollars. When I paid it back, there was no other cost and the stand reaped the gratitude of a well-satisfied customer and goodwill from this story which I have told many times . . . to many people.

Of course, you always need to choose your battles, but quite often in business we find ourselves with choices like the produce manager made. I've lived by his example, when I could and I've always been rewarded.

Author Don Doman: Don is a published author of books for small business, corporate video producer, and owner of Ideas and Training (http://www.ideasandtraining.com), which provides business training products. Don also owns Human Resources Radio (http://www.humanresourcesradio.com), which provides business training programs and previews 24-hours a day.

No comments: